We love Wales. We have some of the most stunning landscapes in all of the UK and it’s a beautiful place to get married. We want you guys to get the most out your wedding photography, so these are our top 3 tips for planning a wedding in Wales.
1. Use the environment
Ultimately, Wales is such a beautiful place, it would be a shame not to capture this in your photos. We love to take our couples away from the hustle and bustle of their wedding for a short time for a couple’s shoot, to give them some time to pause, relax, enjoy each others company and go explore. Brides who jump fences are literally the best and it’ll make your wedding day that much more memorable.
If you’re worried about logistics and don’t think you’ll have time to go far, why not book an engagement shoot. Engagement sessions are beneficial for so many reasons, but they also give you the freedom to head pretty much anywhere you like for some incredible photographs. Chat to your photographer about scouting out locations beforehand to get the most out of the area.
2. Prepare for the weather
Now we would be lying to say it doesn’t rain that much in Wales! It does.
You may get a glorious, sunny day for your wedding, but it can’t be guaranteed, no matter when your wedding date is. But rain on your wedding day doesn’t mean your plans need to change, it just takes a bit of preparation.
- Have your wellies and umbrella’s at the ready. We recommend clear plastic umbrellas as you’ll have no issue with matching the colours to your outfits, and it also means more light in your photographs.
- If you’re wearing heels, get yourself some heel protectors.
- Check the wet weather provisions with your venue – Rain shouldn’t stop you from venturing out to grab amazing photographs, but don’t forget the opportunities for indoor shots which can be equally beautiful. Its likely that your venue has lots of areas that can be utilised in the case of poor weather. Your photographer should scout the area first, there’s always a nook or cranny to take shelter in.
- If it stops raining, get out there! Make the most of the break in the weather, grab your photographer and go!
3. Pick an amazing venue
We are not lacking in amazing options for venues in North Wales, they are endless! We have noticed over the past few years, that more and more unusual, DIY wedding venues are appearing across North Wales, allowing couples to really put their own stamp on their wedding day.
Some of our personal favourites are;
- Hafod Farm – Situated in the Conwy valley, Hafod Farm is a collection of beautiful converted farm buildings and marquees, specifically dedicated to DIY weddings and special occasions. Joanne and Pete have done a fantastic job with this venue, and each wedding here is entirely unique.
- Bryn Eisteddfod – If you are after spectacular views, Bryn Eisteddfod is situated just outside of Conwy and offers some of the most spectacular panoramic views over the Conwy Valley.
- Portmeirion – Further down the Welsh coast is the quirky and colourful village of Portmeirion. This is one of our favourite places in Wales, combining beautiful architecture and Welsh scenery. There aren’t many wedding venues that offer couple’s their own beach for their big day! It has to be seen to be believed.
- Bodysgallen Hall – This beautiful historic manor has some of the best outdoor spaces to explore. It has some amazingly curated gardens but if you’re after some wild nature, it’s surrounded by woodland. So many amazing hidden spots.
Are you getting married in Wales? We’d love to hear what you have planned. Drop us a message and let us know!